Award entry hints and tips
To help you with your entry and give you the best chance of winning we've compiled a list of top tips when entering the Vanarama Van Hero Awards.
- Tell a story - we want to hear about you and your business and stories are a great way of doing this. We want to hear what makes you and your business unique and different and telling us a story of how you've helped a customer or your community will get this across effectively.
- Backup evidence is crucial - Use the upload feature on the award entry form to backup what you're saying with evidence. Maybe a picture of the great work you've done or a picture of a testimonial letter you've got from the customer.
- Be original - ask any business owner and they'll tell you they run a great business. We want to hear why you should win, so superlatives like 'because we're the best' will unlikely get much sway with the judges. But telling us of a story unique to your business will certainly get their attention!
- Use the space wisely - don't waffle, but equally don't be too concise with your answers. Give as much detail as you feel is necessary to get your point across. See the note above for using brief superlatives in your award entry.
- Plan before you write and hit send - write out a draft in Word and get someone else to check it for typo's and grammatical errors. We're not looking for Shakespear but equally your entry is reflective on you and your business so take time to re-read and make sure it makes sense.
- Phone a friend! - see the note above, get someone you know to read it and provide feedback. If it makes sense to them it should make sense to the judges.
- Keep it simple - we're not looking for War and Peace, so answer the question as fully as you can but keep things simple. Focus on what will make the judges sit up and take notice.
Good luck with your entry. Entering awards should be fun and you never know, we could be crowning YOU the winner!